Thursday 15 January 2009

My God Can

Isaiah 40:29
“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.”

*B has always been a fun guy and I’ve never seen him without a smile. Every since I met him I’ve seen him as my kid brother, never really knowing how old he was. B is K’s nephew and lives on my compound.
B goes out everyday with his tea making supplies and walks the streets. It’s not just your typical tea, it’s called shy (that’s not how you spell it but it’s how it’s pronounced). It’s what all the men and some women drink here. It’s done in three courses and you only take a little bit because it’s so strong. The first one is very bitter with very little sugar. They use the tea remains from the first batch to make the second and third batches. They get milder and sweeter until all three have been taken. They are given in small quantities in shot glasses about a quarter to half full. So it’s not very much, but if you take all three it will give you a buzz. I have to be careful and not drink it in the evening or I can’t sleep for hours after that because of all the caffeine it has in it. But the men here drink it all day, everyday.
When I go out and walk through my town or to Susan’s or the post office, I often see B on the streets and he always greets me like he would his good friends. His Fulfulde is a bit different than mine because of where he’s from in Niger but normally we are able to communicate without much of a problem.
Last week B was really sick. He came home in the afternoon and I found him sleeping outside on my large porch. When I went outside the door woke him up and I asked him how he was. He said that he had a fever, no strength, an ongoing headache and a very bad cold. Naturally I wanted to feel his head or neck for warmth but because he’s a guy I had to go off of what he told me. I ask him if I could give him some medicine and he agreed. I gave him some Daytime Tylenol for fevers and colds and just prayed that he would get better. Flashbacks, terrible flashbacks, shot through my mind as I remembered K and how sick he was back in April. I didn’t want this to be a repeat of that time.
Later that night B said that he was feeling a little better and went out to sell his tea. For the next two days I found B sleeping in the middle of the afternoon and getting worse each day. He told me that he was having hot/cold flashes and I knew that was (normally) a sure sign of malaria. Although I wasn’t excited that he was sick my heart was relieved to know that he could have been sick with something that was curable with a three day malaria treatment.
The third day he was sick was this past Sunday. Susan and I and our Christian, Fulani friend from Nigeria, Jay, all went to church service in my new village. We went to the pastors church and worshiped in a tiny mud-brick building with 4 Hausa Believers. Susan and I made up a quarter of the congregation! Jay speaks very good English and is a translator for some of our volunteer teams that come. Jay helped translate the service from Hausa to English for Susan and I.
Being there that day made me feel as though I was in Nigeria again. We sang and it was all in Hausa just as it always was for me before I moved to Niger. It was a good reminder to me that this is what we are striving for among the Fulani… to build up a body of Believers and form a church!
Jay rode back into town with my truck because he had left his motorcycle at my house. As he was leaving my compound I heard B clear his throat from inside K’s covered porch area. I, nor Jay, knew that he was there. I thought better of greeting him because if he was still asleep I didn’t want to wake him. I knew how sick he was because he’s never home from selling his shy during the day.
As I was getting ready to walk back inside the Lord told me to greet B. I hesitated. “I don’t want to wake him up, Lord”.

“Anna, greet him.”

That’s all I heard from the Lord. So I called out, “B? A jamo? No bondu?” (B? How are you? How is your body?) AS SOON as Jay heard me greet B he left his motorcycle and walked to where B had struggled to stand. Jay just asked how he was feeling and how long he’d been sick. Just as you and I would do in America. Jay turned to me and said that he was going to talk to B and pray with him for his health. I left them alone and went inside after telling Jay that I thought he had malaria and I had some malaria medication if B wanted to start it that day.
I prayed for them both as they say outside on my porch in my chairs. About 10 minutes later Jay came to get me. I walked outside and Jay asked B “how is your headache?” B shook his head and said “komi wala, hoore am jam plem” (it’s no problem, my head is fine). I stood and listened in astonishment as every symptom that B had been dealing with had been healed while Jay prayed for him. The only complaint that he had was a little stiffness/pain in his neck that he hadn’t felt until that point, and he still had a little bit of a cough. Now that’s God! But it only gets better…
Jay began telling me in English what had taken place after I went in the house. He said that he asked B questions beyond his health. I don’t know all the details but B related to Jay that he was having dreams and visions of his mother and it was bothering him so much that he was afraid of going to sleep at night. Jay felt that the Lord was asking him to pray for whatever was causing these dreams and visions to leave B’s body in the Name Of Jesus. (I believe that B’s mom died a while back).
Many of the Muslims here deal on a regular basis at times with what is called “Ancestor Spirits”. Satan attacks in many terrible and effective ways and this is only one of them. Jay has seen and prayed for others before who have been affected by this and the result is always similar.
Jay had asked B to close his eyes while Jay prayed and then after the prayer was over he asked him if he saw anything while he prayed. B told Jay that he saw darkness. Total darkness. “It was everywhere.” Then he said that a great light came and fire fell from the sky and forced the darkness from his sight. “After that, all I saw was light and brightness everywhere.” At the moment that B saw the fire force the darkness away he said that all the pain and the fever left his body immediately.
I felt that this was the most amazing thing I had ever been able to witness. How amazing that the sickness and fear that B was dealing were gone after Jay had prayed for him?! I was praising God within my heart and asking Him to use this for His glory and that B would see beyond his own physical healing and realize his need for inner healing that only Jesus could bring.
I sat down and listened as B told Jay how thankful he was that he had healed him. Jay jumped on the opportunity to share with B that Christ was the one who had done the healing. “B, I am nothing. I prayed for you. I prayed for you in the name of Jesus that you would be healed and HE healed you. Not I.” Jay went on to ask if B understood this and then laid out the plan of salvation for him. Jay explained the “Jesus road” for B and the whole time B was nodding and smiling. When Jay was finished talking B said quietly “I want to follow road to Christ.” Jay asked him if he was sure that was what he wanted to do and B smiled and said “yes!”
At this point I was bubbling over with joy and gratitude that Christ had not only heard my prayer, but answered it. I could hardly sit still and I wanted to shout at the top of my lungs so all of the heavens could hear me! But I knew that heaven could hear my heart and I’m sure that was enough to make heaven feel as though I was with them and getting ready for B’s party!
Jay ask B to repeat after him as Jay prayed. They closed their eyes and B followed after Jay in a prayer to repentance. Tears made their way to my eyes as I watched B ask Jesus come into his heart and save him… He repented of his sins and asked for forgiveness!

B IS SAVED!

He is saved and free from the bondage of sin and no more will Satan have hold of his heart. The God of the universe made His presence known that day and called another to Himself. Not only is there a new Believer among the Fulani, but there is a vibrant, young man with loads of personality and love for those around him that is now on the loose!
Just after they prayed I saw the most miraculous physical change I’ve ever seen in my life. The smile on B’s face was shining… It was real, because B was now sitting in the palm of the hand of GOD.
B got up and the first question he asked was “can I pray before I go to bed tonight?” Jay assured him that it was great to pray all day and whenever he wanted to. B was still nervous about going to sleep at night and I told them that I would pray with B before bed that night. The three of us talked about B and I setting a time to meet regularly to talk about scripture and share Bible stories. He was SO excited! He kept telling me not to forget and I assured him that I wouldn’t ☺
B went to where he’d been sleeping and put away his bed. He grabbed his hat and with a huge, happy smile told us goodbye and walked out to the streets! It was amazing to see not only his health, but his strength fully restored. I was reminded of Isaiah 40:29 – 31 at that point:

“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak, Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.”

BEAUTIFUL!

I don’t know about you but I agree with my mom when she said, “Well, praise the Lord! It’s about time!” PRAISE HIM WITH ME! Whether you have tears in your eyes, are laughing from excitement or awed by the beauty of our creator I want to ask that you would pause right now and tell God what’s on your heart. This story is too big to not share with Him how it’s made us feel. So go ahead and share with Him and I’ll wait right here.

Waiting…

I know that was a long story but I think it was worth it! I know that many of my readers don’t comment on my blog but I would say that this story of the power of God deserves a few comments! Let’s get together and praise HIM in the comment section!

Karissa made it here last night and we had the best reunion at the airport EVER! Please be patient with us as we won’t have the internet everyday but will both be posting as often as we can. Karissa will have her own stories to tell and share as well so be looking out for that as well.

Please be praying for us as we make our way back to my house tomorrow. Pray for safe travels.
Also be praying today that my truck would make it out of the shop. It’s not a major problem but may take more than today and tomorrow to get it fixed. I have another vehicle that the mission has given me to drive but it’s always nice to have your own truck.
Please be lifting up B as he learns more about this new walk of faith and that he would stand strong in the midst of persecution that will come.

Thanks for all the support, love and prayers that you send my way – you are all appreciated!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, our God is an awesome God! Thank you for sharing with us Anna (and I didn't think it was too long!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, God is an Awesome God! I am so glad I woke you up tonight :P and got to talk to you. It's good to read your blogs and get emails from you, but it's so much better to hear your voice! Praise God for B and his new salvation! I'm still praying and can't wait to see what else God is going to do. Can't wait to hear! I love you! - amy

Dana said...

that is sooooooooooooooo awesome, anna! i am crying tears of joy! praise the lord for b!!!!!!!! and praise him for giving b faith to believe in him... what a blessing, indeed. oh wow. i am so excited!!!!!!!!!! how encouraging to see fruits of your labor! the lord doesn't have to show results, but oh, how sweet it is when he does. i love you.

karissa- i am so so so glad you made it! i have been praying. i put up pictures of us up in my apartment and i love looking at your smiling face. :) i got the package today in the mail that your mom sent me- i miss you so much that it made me cry. and, i laughed out loud at the mini muffins (MY FAVORITE!!) and gas card. you are precious!! and, i love your mom!! :)

thanks so much for calling me the other day... i cried. the lord is working on my heart, and i know there's a reason why i'm still here. it's just really hard... but a blessing at the same time, to be able to pray and share in your experiences through reading them. i love you girls... you are so precious to me.

Anonymous said...

I haven't met you Anna, but as I have been praying for Karissa the past few months in prep for her trip, I have also prayed for you by name and your ministry. This wonderful account of B makes me more determined than ever to be diligent in prayer for missionaries around the world, AND to trust God's work and prompting in my life, because as you say... "My God Can"!