Tuesday 13 January 2009

Foto Fun

I'm in Niamey at the moment. I came in so I can pick up Karissa from the airport tomorrow!
So her visa situation was solved yesterday when it came in. We were getting antsy and wondering why the Lord would procrastinate with it... He has taught me a lot over the past week about trust and faith and what it means when we put both in Him alone. That's all Karissa and I could do. And we prayed - a lot!
She should be leaving on her flight at 11am Central time and she will be here tomorrow night... I can't hardly sit still!
Below are a couple/few pictures that I have uploaded. They were coming in really fast at first and then it slowed way down. So I'm posting the ones that uploaded. Enjoy!

This is Mama who lives across the street from me. This was taken on *Tabaski in December. She got all dressed up and put on her jewelry and then made the picture complete by holding her cell phone. (The Africans think it's cool to have a cell phone in their picture!)

This picture was taken on Tabaski. The people will kill many sheep on this day and then line them up like this and place a fire in the middle...

This is a picture of Ussa and Altine. These are Susan's guards and they are brothers. They are also Fulani. Many Fulani men wear this traditional headdress. This was also taken on Tabaski so they were a little more dressed up than "normal". They were excited that I would capture a holiday photo of them!

Here are three of my sisters in the bush modeling the new earrings that I'd given them from America.

This is Iissa putting henna on my feet the week before Christmas

Funny Story behind this... I use an old peanut butter jar for mixing up my dry milk. Well, I used the correct measurements to make milk for my cereal one morning and after shaking it up I sat it down to pour my Lucky Charms. When I picked up the milk to pour it, it looked like this... it had completely separated in the jar. I was curious as to why because my milk has never done this before. So I tasted it. I do believe that I used cornmeal. But I'm not sure if cornmeal separates like that or not... I'm still baffled by this. But the funniest part about this is that the Chief came to visit me last month and him and K were sitting in my living room talking while I was making them coffee. Well, coffee is not coffee without milk... or in this case - Cornmeal! I have no idea how it tasted but I do know that I put a load of "milk" in it! I'm just not sure how I mixed up my powdered milk container with something else!


I think that's about all the internet will upload for today. So enjoy these pictures to the max and be looking out for a few more posts in the next couple of days - I have a PRAISE GOD story to tell you! But I want to write it all out and make it good and not just post the details - it's too good to not share all of!

Tabaski is the most important Muslim holiday. On this day, celebrants slaughter a sheep to commemorate the biblical story of Abraham, who was on the verge of sacrificing his son to obey God's command when God interceded by substituting a ram in the child's place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures, Anna! I am so glad you are doing well and anticipating Karissa's visit. I know you will have fun. I can't wait to hear about the PRAISE GOD story. I love you bunches and miss you more! - Aunt Amy